Thursday 15 August 2013

Sugar Spun Nails

I discovered this lovely creation on the web a while back but didn't get round to it until recently. I found a lovely tutorial on Nailasaurus' blog (http://www.thenailasaurus.com/2013/06/sugar-spun-nail-art-tutorial.html) which came in handy to try out this design!


I love the textured effect of these nails and have found it great fun wearing them!
 The downside though is that it took a long time to do...but I think every second was worth it.





To complete this bumpy design I used Barry M denim and La Femme Beauty Rickpink cream as base colours, I then used a top coat BEFORE the Barry M gold foil effects on top. This meant that once the gold was applied, as the Nailasaurus's tutorial suggests, I could leave it without a top coat so it was as textured as possible.




The technique used to do the sugar spun effect took some time and persistence. My technique wasn't as perfected as I wanted but I like how it ended up turning out. You can see the rounded blobs where I was trying to pull the varnish string across but accidentally touched my dotting tool to the nail, but fortunately, I did this enough times it looks like that's how it's meant to be!! This was my first time trying this technique so it goes to show you don't need to practice it lots before you can wear it out as even the mistakes look good with this effect!




There are some really cool sugar spun nails out there with combinations of colours too, I decided to stick to the one for my first go, but maybe I'll try two colours the next time I find enough time to tackle this technique again!

~ Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment