Thursday 19 September 2013

Gruffalo nails


"Silly old fox, doesn't he know...there's no such thing as a Gruffalo!"



I think Julia Donaldson is a great author (I am a self confessed big kid!) and Axel Scheffler a great illustrator and one of their best known stories is The Gruffalo! I wanted to try to create some nails from the story and they turned out better than I imagined they could!




To start this design I began with a white base coat on all nails then when dry, drew on the characters using an old liquid eyeliner which gave me the outline to then just colour in! To do the filling in, I used various colours from my extensive collection (I won't list them because that would be tooo much!) using dotting tools to apply. For the gruffalo himself I used a circular motion to apply the brown which meant it made a kind of textured effect that worked really well as his fur. The others had no special technique to apply it, but I did find that I needed to go over some of the outline once the colour was applied. A matte top coat finished it all off nicely.

I hope you enjoy this design as much as I enjoying creating and wearing it!

~ Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment